BIRMINGHAM, Ala.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The city of Birmingham and Mayor William Bell today honored Regions Bank (NYSE: RF) for its support of programs and events tied to the Civil Rights Movement 50th Anniversary Commemoration this year. As part of the year-long celebration, Regions will provide financial and volunteer support for programs including:
“Art and Conversation Etched in Collective History”
- The MLK Project – a play based on Dr. Martin Luther King’s Letter from a Birmingham Jail to be performed in April through a collaboration between the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute and Red Mountain Theater Company
- Birmingham Museum of Art – “Art and Conversation Etched in Collective History” – coming in August
- The Faith and Politics Institute’s Congressional Civil Rights Pilgrimage in March, which brings Members of Congress to various sites in Alabama
- Metro Birmingham Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) – 50th Anniversary recognition events
- Sixteenth Street Baptist Church – Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the church bombing
- Birmingham Metro Chapter Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) – State Convention
“The Civil Rights 50th Anniversary is an opportunity to showcase the city 50 years forward,” said Mayor William Bell. “I want to thank Regions, its leadership and their associates for their commitment, not just for the celebration of the heritage we have in this great city but to making life better in Birmingham.”
“We are both a company that calls Birmingham home and one that is proud to lend a hand to continue this year-long celebration and year-long focus on our history and on the Civil Rights Movement,” said Bill Horton, Regions area president for North Central Alabama. “Our thanks to the city of Birmingham, our partners and to the people who sacrificed so much in doing what was right some 50 years ago.”
For more information on the 50th Anniversary plans, see www.50yearsforward.com.
About Regions Financial Corporation
Regions Financial Corporation, with $121 billion in assets, is a member of the S&P 500 Index and is one of the nation’s largest full-service providers of consumer and commercial banking, wealth management, mortgage, and insurance products and services. Regions serves customers in 16 states across the South, Midwest and Texas, and through its subsidiary, Regions Bank, operates approximately 1,700 banking offices and 2,000 ATMs. Additional information about Regions and its full line of products and services can be found at www.regions.com.