LAKEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Terumo BCT announces the Call for Expressions of Interest for the Plasma Exchange Innovation Award. This award is designed to fund science and research that furthers greater understanding of the use of plasma exchange, or plasmapheresis. Work may be in the areas of neurology, nephrology, immunology, hematology or other fields of medicine. Terumo BCT will award $100,000 to one recipient or smaller grants (totaling up to $100,000) to multiple recipients. Expressions of Interest will be accepted until 29 April, 2013.
- The Plasma Exchange Innovation Award is intended to encourage the investigation of novel scientific ideas, best practices and standards that have the potential to advance the understanding and the use of plasma exchange.
- Applicants must submit an Expression of Interest, a short two-page form, by 29 April, 2013 to be considered for the award.
- All Expressions of Interest submitted will be reviewed by the Grant Committee.
- The Grant Committee consists of two representatives of the Terumo BCT Medical Affairs team and three independent specialists.
- Each application will be reviewed based on the fundamentals of scientific merit, availability of funds and relevance to award program priorities, as well other application criteria.
- The Grant Committee will request all selected finalists to complete a Full Submission.
- Expenses covered and details about grant recipient responsibilities are available online and by contacting grant administrators.
- Grant administrators reserve the right to withhold all or partial grant funds based on the quality of submissions.
- Eduardo De Sousa, M.D., was announced in September as the 2012 recipient of Terumo BCT’s inaugural Plasma Exchange Innovation Award.
Matthew Trifilo, Ph.D., Director, Medical Affairs
"Terumo BCT is excited to continue offering support to physicians, researchers and clinicians pursuing investigative studies that may offer a better understanding of the efficacy and use of plasma exchange, new clinical opportunities and therapeutic innovation. The recipient of our first award, Dr. De Sousa, is currently exploring a novel application of plasma exchange in a difficult-to-treat neurologic condition. We are eager to see the creative application for this year’s award.”
About Terumo BCT:
Terumo BCT, a global leader in blood component, therapeutic apheresis and cellular technologies, is the only company with the unique combination of apheresis collections, manual and automated whole blood processing, and pathogen reduction coupled with leading technologies in therapeutic apheresis and cell processing. We believe in the potential of blood to do even more for patients than it does today. This belief inspires our innovation and strengthens our collaboration with customers.